Layers of Caramel Cake with Caramel and Apple filling, covered in caramel
Italian Meringue buttercream.
|Yield: 1 – 8” cake||Prep Time: 30 min||Total Time: 2 hours|
- 2.5 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup + 1 Tb brown sugar
- 2 cups small-diced apples (granny smith)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup of sugar
- 3 eggs
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups sifted flour
*OPTIONAL – Apple filling for spice cake: fills two 8” cakes
2 lbs. apples, peeled & diced
For apples: Add 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 Tb brown sugar, and apples to saucepan. Cook on medium until apples are done but not mushy. Do not over stir!
- Combine dry ingredients: salt, nutmeg, 1.5 tsp cinnamon, baking powder, and flour, and set aside.
- Combine vanilla, oil, sugar ½ cup brown sugar well, approx. 2 min. Add eggs, one at a time.
- Add dry ingredients to liquids in 3 parts until combined. Do not overmix!
- Fold apples into the batter, bake at 350° 45 – 50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Fill with Caramel filling and ice with caramel buttercream of your choice.